Friday, March 19, 2010

Squished Pennies and Presidents

Squished Pennies and Presidents

“It is perhaps a more fortunate destiny to have a taste for collecting shells than to be born a millionaire”
Robert Louis Stevenson























I love collections and collecting. I have a passion and addiction. There is a fine line between the two.


Post cards and squished pennies are great to collect. They are small and flat, easy to store and are inexpensive.






















Squished penny machines are found everywhere from the Cafe Du Monde in the NOLA French Quarter to the Grand Hall at the Smithsonian's Natural History Museum. Only 51 cents at most locations.


And of you're lucky you might find a squished quarter machine, like this one at the World's Largest Mc Donald's on the Will Rogers Turnpike in Oklahoma. ( A little more expensive at $1).


To date I can account for 24 pennies and 1 quarter in my collection.


























Another fun collection is postcards stamped with the National Park/Monument/Historic
Site Passport Rubber Stamp.






















I'm especially fond of Presidential Homes, Libraries and Historic sites and Presidential Kitsch. Who can live without a Jimmy Carter Yard stick, a Fala( FDR) coloring book, or a Bill Clinton Library Christmas Ornament. And before you ask my collection is bipartisan. I've even been to The Nixon Boyhood home and Library! So there!




























Tell me about your collections and check out the photos at Chrysti's and Susan's Echo Challenge.

- Posted using my iPhone and Blogpress.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Alto I have never seen a squished penny, I do have an extensive collection of postcards...

...and I do agree it is grate to collect. It would be fun to see yours.

EWian

Susan Tuttle said...

nice shot of those crushed pennies! I used to have one from SF -- forgot all about it until now.

:)

Unknown said...

I'd never seen a squished penny, but think you have a great collection there. I just found Susan's and Chrysti's blogs and joined in the fun of "Echo" but not sure I understand it completely..hehhe!! would you check out my blog to see if I did it right? Plz...
http://dreamsofpurelove.blogspot.com
I'll understand if you are too busy!!!