Sunday, October 26, 2008

Be A Patriot - VOTE



Yes, I am a patriot! I love my country. I taught American Government, Economics and History for 25 years to 8th graders in a public school in Jefferson County, Missouri. The front lines on the home front. One doesn't need to carry a gun in combat to be a patriot. Public School Teachers are heros, too. When I taught school I tried to instill in my students a love of their country, the responsibilites of citizenship and the rights of citizenship.


"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."
Do you remember the School House Rock version



Tomorrow I head out to Clayton, Missouri, the center of government for St. Louis County, Missouri. ( Did you know the City of St. Louis is a separate entity from St. Louis County, it can be confusing.) I'll be serving on jury duty. It makes me think about our rights and duties as citizens as I go to serve. I know, it's not that big of a deal. A lot of people have the attitude that they wouldn't want 12 people who didn't have enough influence to get out of jury duty to determine their fate. It's the system that we have established, it isn't perfect, and it only works if we participate.
Next week I'll be serving as a Democratic Election Supervisor. Another important responsibility of citizens. Someday, perhaps when you are retired, sign up to do that with your local Board of Election Commissioners. Perhaps your employer will allow you time off for that. ( We can dream!)


Most importantly, vote November 4. ( Of course you can tell by my side bar, I have an opinion about who you should vote for.) Get out and vote!


PS. I've been using my Dover clipart Vintage Song Sheet Covers.

No comments: