Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Mom's New Stove


When you get a chance, sit with your mom and go through her old pictures. I never remember seeing this photo, until we were going through family ephemera when my brother and I moved our parents to an area nursing home. My dad had a series of strokes and was no longer able to take care of my mom who had alzheimers. My mom passed away April 1, 2006 and my father on June 5, 2006.

But happy memories abound. This photo was taken in 1952, a year before I was born and shortly before my folks bought their first house. It was certainly a different time. My father worked at Nooter Corporatation as a boilermaker, where he would work for 44 years before retiring. My grandfather worked there for 24. But the company carried the mortgage for my folks and also assisted with hospital bills when I was born.



This was my mom's new stove, which she used through the 1970s, at which time she got a lovely harvest gold model. I know she was proud of this new stove. I don't think they had a lot starting out. But then not many folks with babies right after WWII did. They were married in 1944 and had my brother in 1947.


Why am I writing about this today. I have been looking for "stuff" to do with some of the old photos that I have, and I found one. Over on Inspire me Thursday for March 6, the topic was kitchens. Now I was a bit intimidated by some of the photos they offered for inspiration for "kitchen". And it made me think about what's really important about the kitchen. Mom would bake cookies....and my dad did most of the other cooking. LOL., My mom was a registered nurse and worked odd hours and a lot of over time. If dad wanted to eat, he cooked. I miss them both.



So go through some old photos with your mom, she'll love it!



This is a scrap book page of sorts, it has sort of a Claudine Hellmuth feel to it. Well ...maybe if you squint!

12 comments:

MyArtInProgress said...

I am sorry to hear about your parents, but this post really brought some joy to my heart. Hearing how sweetly you put all of that, thank you for sharing. I am going to go look through some old photos now :)

Everydaythings said...

I absolutely love this and so glad you posted it into the thursday challenge. Its given me an idea and I must go look at our old photos there must be some gems there. I really enjoyed your post!ps - it was adifferent way of life back then wasnt it?

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love your picture! I really enjoy going through my parents old photos with them

Anke Martin said...

Oh what a beautiful artwork full of memories! Smiles, Anke ;)

Anonymous said...

This is such a heart felt loving post! The page is something that you and yours will treasure always! Continue to share who you are and what you do...we all need that! Especially when you create art like this!!

Anonymous said...

This is such a great way to remember your parents:> You've done a wonderful job adding your colorful elements to the picture of her... it brings your emotion and memories alive for the viewer.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post ... strolling down memory lane bring interesting, mixed emotions to cherish. Thanks for sharing ;)

lee said...

I love this post, really reminded me of my mom at her stove. Its a fun art piece and really well thought out. Great job

Sherry said...

love your collage -- I was thinking retro too as soon as I heard "kitchen". Funny where our hearts take us with certain words.

Anonymous said...

I love this one, and reading about your family..thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mother. So fantastic that a small detail in a photo can bring about so many wonderful memories. Thank you for sharing and participating at Inspire Me Thursday.

mbc said...

This is great! I love old photos/ephemera used in art. It works well within your composition. I relate to your mother. My husband does most of the cooking too. Thanks for coming by my blog.