Friday, March 28, 2008

The Art of Nursing and My Mom



The theme for this week on Illustration Friday is"Homage", homage to my mother and the Art of Nursing.

Women at Work was the theme for the week on Skinny Saturday. So this post covers two challenges for the price of one.


This piece features a photo of my mother taken in 1944. This is her graduate nurse photo for her Texas state nursing license. She graduated from City - County Hospital School of Nursing in Fort Worth, Texas. My mom worked at City Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri, Bethesda Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri and retired from Deaconess Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri. I'm amazed at the hard work performed by nurses all over the world. They care for people and save lives everyday. Where would we be without them?


I found this quote from Florence Nightingale:


Nursing is an Art:

and if it is to be made an art,

It requires an exclusive devotion

as hard a preparation,

as any painter's or sculptor's work;

for what is the having to do with

dead canvas or dead marble,

compared with having to do

with the living body,

the temple of God's spirit?

It is one of the Fine Arts:

I had almost said,

the finest of Fine Arts.



This art work measures 3 by 5 inches. I used a copy of a photo of my mom, a stamped image, a wing from a ZNE collage sheet, "Special" tag, and "Those who bring...." from a vellum scrapbook page. I'm not totally sure I like how the vellum looks, but I like the over all finished design and concept.

10 comments:

Laura Kirste Campbell said...

What beautiful artwork to honor your mother! I love the colors and layers.
My MIL is a retired nurse. I'm so fortunate to have her live with us and give us in-house nursing advice and support!
Creatively Yours, Laura

Susie Campbell (Sue Smith) said...

This is a stunning skinny! And it does indeed pay great homage to nurses. Where would we be without them indeed? One of my close friends is a nurse and after hearing some of her horror stories about all that her job entails I am very grateful that there are people that are gifted and passionate about helping the sick.

Anonymous said...

Very nice!

Anonymous said...

Its gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful skinny ! great ribute about your mother.

Femmy said...

beautiful skinny!! great way to honor your mother! Thanks for playing skinny saturday.

vintage wil said...

what a beautiful artwork !!!

Sandy said...

Wow wonderful Skinny. Great work.

NANCY LEFKO said...

excellent piece and wonderful message too...

ElizT said...

Thank you for your comment on mine.
From a medical family, I did my nursing training but can't say it made the world a better place; I did find a husband there, and was a little better prepared for looking after children.